What are my options if my ex wants to move?

On Behalf of | Mar 31, 2022 | Child Custody |

One of the biggest fears parents in the Columbus area might have is that their ex will decide he or she wants to move after a custody and parenting time order has been entered.

Many parents might fear that the other parent might leave Ohio or, even within the state, move several hundred miles away.

As understandable as the reason might seem, a move can at best be a major inconvenience and, at worst, a serious obstacle to a parent’s maintaining a relationship with his or her kids.

Residential parents must follow Ohio’s relocation law

Like other states, Ohio has a relocation law.

The law requires that the parent who has the care of the children most of the time, called the residential parent, will need to file a notice of his or her intention to relocate with the court overseeing the case and provide a copy to the other parent.

In Ohio, the other parent has no statutory limits on moving.

There are some exceptions in which one parent will not have to notify the other parent of a move.

Of course, both parents will want to review their custody and parenting time orders since the relocation law does not apply if the order already specifically allows the parent to move.

For example, the parents may have agreed that short-distance moves, within 50 miles for example, do not require notice.

The court may decide, either on its own or after the other parent objects, to hold a hearing on the relocation. A parent who receives a relocation notice has the option to ask for a revised parenting time schedule to account for the plan.

The parent may also consider requesting a change of custody in light of the move.